Importance of Early Childhood Education

Importance of Early Childhood Education

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Looking Through Others Lens





      This journey through this course allows me to see that there are two sides to every story. As an educator working in an urban school setting it is important to make sure I focus on the whole child. It is important as educators to go those extra steps when it comes to being an effective teacher. I feel that this course has helped me broaden my understanding of building a positive relationship with my families. These relationships will allow us to work together to better that student. Throughout this course, we focus on not being bias to the situations and that there are always two sides to every story. So we have to gain an understanding of our families based on their cultural beliefs or their past experiences.
      In the reading, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down was very insight full and eye opener with the things that are going on around me. This book allowed me to see social bias and how I can overcome it. In our society, we are faced with so many different assumptions and beliefs that we have to stay aware of the things that are going on around me. I  learned a lot from this book how to interact with the families that we serve.
       My topic in this course was how to allow students with developmental delays feel a part of a regular education classroom. The research that I conducted on this topic was a true eye opener how student are judged quickly before allowing them to show you that they truly can succeed. It's important that we understand their environment and make accommodations that will help them feel a part of the classroom. Building a relationship and open a great line of communication with these families will allow them to involved in the education process that is set in front of them.
I feel that my future aspirations in the field of education is making sure that I make a difference in the lives that I come in contact with. Showing teachers that every child can learn but it how we teach them that makes the differences. Being a competent teacher motivates me the most in my profession because I feel that what I was born to make a positive difference in someone life. 

References
Fadiman, A. (2012). The spirit catches you and you fall down: A Hmong child, her American  doctors, and the collision of two cultures. New York, NY: Farrar, Straus,  and Giroux.
Hanson, M. J., & Lynch, E. W. (2013). Understanding families: Approaches to diversity, disability, and risk. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co.

2 comments:

  1. The journey through this course has been a revelation for me. I have really examined my own thoughts and bias. We are constantly growing and learning as professionals. The video was inspiring because it demonstrates a need to be kind, caring, but resourceful to families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarissa
    I agree this course has opened my eyes to the biases that go in the education system. You are right there are two sides to every story and we need to keep that in mind when we are trying to assist families. This course encouraged me to be open to families and their situations in order for me to be a resource to them in and out of the classroom.
    Tamika Schaffer

    ReplyDelete